Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Expanding through partnership, Opening doors to care

Through the generosity of Drs Boyle and Nichols the  5 members of MS2 Community Health Clinic board... and Dr. Sanders... were afforded the opportunity to attend CHC's annual fundraising gala (Jane we missed you!).  A few weeks ago I learned that each ticket went for the small price of $250, to say the least, I am very thankful to have had this opportunity.  
The event was held at the Harold Washington Chicago Public Library atrium on the 9th floor.  A beautiful space!  If only it had been sunny with all those skylights and big windows.  While getting ready all of us girls were of course worried about our hair, but no worries none of us lost our fluffs til late in the night on the dance floor after several rounds of open bar drinks and a wonderful waiter who kept our wine glasses full all though dinner.  Loved him :)




 Not only do CCOM students volunteer at the clinic once a week but so do many of the other medical schools in the city.  Coincidence, or not.... My sister, Coco was there. Coco is actually on the board at Rush.  One of their physician volunteers bought a group of tickets and she was lucky enough to get one.   Lots of fun having her there and getting her to come out and dance with us after dinner.  The rest of the Rush students made it to the floor too but they left early (lame) I'm assuming to go study.  Please, Rush, who studies after 10PM on a Saturday when you're at a swanky gala with an open bar.  Needless to say, CCOM stayed until the last song.  The music the band was playing really made me miss Memphis bands/bars/formals  Such a great time :)

Some superficial highlights of my night:  1. Dr. Farley came and talked to me.  I have lofty goals to be like her as far as her best shoes and style.  However, I did learn on Saturday that she is actually divorced from her ex husband in China.  She moved back to the States with her son who I even saw a iPhone video of.  Needless to say, she looked fabulous in  purple one shoulder silk dress and nude pumps.  Her date for the night, I'll call him turban man, was quite friendly too.  2. The silent auction and everyone there able to bid.  This reminded me that at some point in my life I will be getting a pay check and will be able to afford to go do all sorts of fun things.  I cant wait for that day.  Actually the whole event was  a reminder of this.  3. Playing the "heads or tails" fundraiser.  We made Mike stand up and choose "heads" or "tails" for a chance to win half the money the was put in for the little game.  Below there is a picture of him choosing tails.  Also below is a picture of Mike and Liz modeling the CCOM ad.  4. Making Mike dance with all us girls, he loved it, don't let him tell you otherwise.


Now for a little less fluff and more substance.  The biggest highlight of the night (as much as I wish I could say Dr. Farley was it, she wasn't) was a speech made by one of the award winners.  He discussed a lot about the vision of the clinic and how he can hardly believe how far its come.  I can no longer remember any direct quotes from him but I very much appreciated a comment he made about the health care reform.  It went something along the line of "I know there are many different opinions in this room on the healthcare reform, but there is one uniting feature.  We are all committed to doing something for those without insurance."  This was certainly true.  The majority of individuals in the room were working in the healthcare field or for healthcare operations.  It was nice to see such a united front on on one of the largest problems currently facing this country
We missed Jane :(
And, yes, I know her last name is Gelfand not Gelfland
yummm double dessert :)

No comments:

Post a Comment