Thursday, May 12, 2011

Lending a Hand

Sometimes, or really most of the time, its the small things that really make a day.  Yesterday it was walking out of the gym during a break in the storm to see a full rainbow.  It was practically perfect with all the colors present.  Myself and just about everyone else in the parking lot took a moment of time to enjoy and snap a few pictures.  But before I could switch my phone over to video method it was gone.  Just like that.  I do wish the pictures had turned out better









 

Today it's still relatively early and my faith has been restored in the general population.  I ran to the grocery store after my exam so I could stop scavenging around my apartment for things to put together for a decent meal.  Well actually it was due to having to skip breakfast because I had nothing satisfactory to munch on.  So walking in with all my grocery bags at once and my obnoxiously large purse was a bit of a hassle.  Of course I refused to take two trips as I'm perfectly capable of carrying that much.  There was a young man (total stranger, never before seen him) who pulled into the parking lot a at the same time as me and got inside while I was just starting the walk from my car.  Well to my surprise as I saw him about to hop on the elevator he turns around and rushes back outside to open the door for me and help with my bags and he says "I'm so sorry for not stopping earlier, I would have felt like such a jerk if I'd just gone upstairs and not helpedl you when you had your hands full."  I can't even explain how surprised I was.  I don't know his name or a thing about him other than he had a car door that was all banged up.  But this resident on the 5th floor of my building is my new favorite neighbor :)

Occurrences like this one inspire me to go just a little out of my way to make that extra effort for anyone who might need it.  It might just make a difference in their day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment