Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Always wear sunscreen

Those of you who know me know that I am a HUGE advocate of sunscreen.  I wear spf 75 on a daily basis on my face and neck.  I do sometimes neglect other exposed skin on a daily basis unfortunately.  (Let's face it, sunscreen isn't so great smelling and weather lotion or spray leaves an unwanted coating on your skin)  However every run, bikeride, swim, long walk, extended period of time outside I always make an effort to cover my epidermis.  I check for moles regularly and freak out about the smallest change.  I had a mole removed at one point leaving me with an attractive keloid scar secondary to an allergy to cat gut stitches.  Its improved since the lesion was excised but still... unsightly.  What's sad is I still get the occasional stranger to believe I was shot and many foreigners are convinced I was born somewhere where the polio vaccine is still used.  My old derm and I were tight.  I'm still working on a new one I like.  I miss Dr. Wise despite him potentially thinking I was neurotic.  

I thought I'd abided to my normal sunscreen application protocols this past Sunday when I chose to spend some time at the beach instead of the Pride Parade.  While I was successful in finding pleasantly empty near north side beaches my sunscreen application was not up to par.  I am still burnt; my booty is bright red, no joke.  My long ride yesterday could have been a good bit more comfortable.   Padded shorts only do so much.  I'd post pics but I'm not entirely certain they are appropriate.

To sum up, and oldie but goody.  Some good advice starts this song off, I couldn't agree more

No comments:

Post a Comment