Thursday, July 7, 2011

Clubbing

It seems like no matter where we are in life we find ourselves in various "clubs" in society whether we mean to or not.  By "clubs" I don't mean something you register for, or something a superficial glance might classify you as, or even roles like mother/friend/teacher/etc.  By clubs I mean things you do / enjoy / that are an inherent part of you.  Ways you relate to others with similar interests, you know, things that might not be so obvious about someone at first glance just walking down the street one day.  I, for example am a part of the Doctors in Training club.  Seeing me out and about fluffing left and right one would never guess that I'm pursuing a career in medicine.  Even when people ask what I do and after answering I'm a student... in grad school... in the health sciences.... in medical school... I still get oh so you're going to be a nurse!?  That's so great.  Medical school people = doctor.  I don't even want to go into this right now.  Another club I'm in is that I'm a dog lover.  I don't even have my own dog to come to right now, but what I wouldn't give for a life amenable to having a cuddly creature to come home to every day.  I'll often even say my life would be perfect if only I had a dog.  But reality... the whole Doctor in Training thing doesn't really allow for a new puppy.  There is also the money issue what with somedays needing a dog walker and such, just not going to happen.  I suppose I'm also in the "love to cook" club and the "neurotic about eating healthfully" club.

I've recently gotten into the road biking club.  I've got a bike a love, have learned the rules of the road, can clip and in and out without making a fool of myself (usually), can get my bike on and off in a trainer quickly, and working on putting some speed on flat tire changes, I can clean and grease my own chain, and I own multiple means of inflating tires.  I've even had a mild crash.  I've come to love a long ride, especially with company.  I've quickly accumulated multiple padded bike shorts and don't think twice about them making my butt look big.  Shirts with pockets in the back rock my world and I prefer one pocket to zipper (not to be picky)  I've come to hate people walking on trails, and hate even more than before smokers on bike paths.  However one of my biggest annoyances regarding this sport are bikers on busy trails that wear headphones and ride in the center of a path or road.  Geniuses, all of them.  They come pretty close to the brilliant individuals not wearing helmets.  Yes the ruin your hair and make you sweat and you may even look a little silly in them.  But they can save your life.  However despite my new found "club" and love for the sport every time I'm out on the a bike/run path i feel like something is missing.

So what is it?

Well, while it is still early in the season I'm very aware I've lost membership in a significant club from last summer... the marathon training club.

Yes, I still run but my max distance recently has been a mere 7 miles.  I'm pretty sure with proper pacing I could get through a half marathon right now but I don't want to think about the pain I'd feel the next day.  Sadly this makes me feel out of shape.  that sounds crazy to think about.  My bp is back down to pre boards range and my pulse is in check and holding at a 48.  I can get out a 6:42 mile if I need to.  Just one and yes I did recently head to a track to time this.  Still I feel inadequate quitting this club.  I of course blame it on medical school.  I start a surgery rotation the week before the Chicago Marathon.  Thus marathon running didn't seem to be the best idea I've ever had.  I gave up a lot and went through a bit of pain for that one 26.2 mile run last October.  In the summer I'd skip going out many nights in exchange for a 5 am wake up and long run before it got too hot out.  I dealt with a sprained ankle, many blisters, and an irritated anterior tibial muscle giving me a foot drop every so often.  I turned down a couple date to instead run.  (No wonder I'm so lucky with the boys... maybe I could just find myself a fellow psychotically active and busy individual who want's to spend all his spare time at his Vo2 max?)  In my defense I did invite one guy with on my run, he politely declined.  Understandably so, it was a 14 miler.  Despite frustration and disappointment, and grumbling at early AM alarms once I hit a trail and saw other crazy marathon training individuals I immediately felt 100% better.  We all shared a similar goal.  How did I know who was training and who wasn't?  well I really didn't know for sure but somehow it was easy to get a good idea of it.  It was definitely obvious come long runs late August and September when you'd see men with bloody nipples around 8:30 AM.  There are also the dead give a ways in the Team in Training jerseys and those wearing "I'm training for 10-10-10" cheesy shirts.  As ironic as it may seem, I miss this.  Yes, even the 5 am weekend wake ups.

Therefore I'm currently in the process of checking ebay and various running boards for discounted marathon entry posts.  Right now it looks like most people are selling their bibs for face value.  No go for me.  But I'm also in the process of looking into just what this surgery rotation of mine might be like and if I'll survive the first week of it and might be able to get 48 hours in a row entirely off.  If I hear that the schedule is manageable I'm in as soon as I find a bib going for under $100.  If I hear that there is no way the Burn unit will give me the weekend off... well then there's always a marathon in the area in September, but that I'm not sure if I can be ready for.... 2 1/2 months???

This afternoon I ran with the Nike Running Club.  They're currently running with pace groups for the marathon.  Ugh, this made it all that much more painful to not have an entry.  Though it was delightful to again get in with a run club, especially one made up of people of all abilities and ages, not just old people :)  Getting to try out the newest Nike shoes didn't hurt either.




Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!  I mean how can you resist this...  check out the link
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150371212230037

No comments:

Post a Comment