Today I tried my 3rd new church in the area surrounding my lovely new abode and I think I've found "the one" I happened across this church last Sunday while out for a run. With this church meeting only 4 blocks from my apartment I thought, why not check it out next week, am I ever happy I did. I walked in surprised at how full the auditorium was. Usually when I try a new church and am going alone I have no problem finding a seat... just one seat. I had to look around today. I ended up finding two empty together, perfect, I don't always like sitting right next to other people. Strangers, friends, fellow believers... makes no difference. Well that didn't really matter because 3 minutes later the seat next to me was filled anyway. Music was simple and lovely, no over the top dramatics. There was a family committing their child to Christ and Communion today. Perfect day to start at a new church.
But it was the sermon that was truly a delight. The pastor read out of II Samuel, the story about David giving up his throne. This come after his several years of corruption with Bathsheba and his one son raping his daughter and then another son of his killing that first son. Followed by banishment of the murdering son... It's always interesting to learn from the scandal that goes down in the OT. While I fairly extensively studied Kind David in college I'm never surprised to find there is more to learn about him. He's always held up as a "man of God"... but if you really read its amazing he's kept this title, certainly gives the rest of us hope :) I'll cut to the chase and skip the run around on this one. The message centered around David sacrificing several things for the will of God... he wasn't so sure he was meant to be king at this point anymore. He gave it all up, saved his household and army from a war, gave up all his power, risked his own life to exit peacefully. And for this he was blessed. So what does it take for us to sacrifice it all for Christ? And what might that look like in our lives? I think it might be something a little different for everyone. Considering the general populous in the congregation and where I'm living the pastor focussed on careers, dating, and life plans. I'll be the first to say, I hold on to a lot of things myself. While I know most are out of my hands and can be hard to nearly impossible to give control of these things over to God. Not just say you are, but actually do just that. It's given me a good deal to think about. I've recently spent time with a spiritual but non-believing individual. I spent a good bit of time praying about the relationship and was led to the right answer. I knew in my gut from day one it wasn't meant to go anywhere, but it took some support from something other than myself to voice this and fully realize it. I have no doubt the right choice was made. When if comes to school (I have no career yet) I wish I could just put it all in God's hands and sit back and coast. Unfortunately I know that's not what's meant by giving it to God. I need to put the effort in to learning and studying and building relationships with patients and he will bring me through it all with sound mind and a solid grasp on where I'm meant to head.
But enough on the sermon, I'm the furthest thing from a preacher... though I am considering obtaining a Masters in Divinity down the road. The other thing that was truly refreshing about this church was the extent of young people. There were some families and some middle aged couples, but the vast majority of the audience was full of young adults aged 20 to about 35 from all walks of life choosing of their own volition to spend their Sunday morning at church.... and not all alone or with just one other person there, they were there with groups of friends. I was so pleasantly surprised by this because recently it seems everywhere I go I meet people that scoff at the idea of organized religion and living their life to a standard other than their own. The guy that sat down next to me, Drew, was very friendly and inviting. Asked if I wanted to join him and his friends at the picnic right after church. I politely declined as I had a list of things to do today (and my schedule starting tomorrow could potentially be crazy for the next 4 weeks), but I did head over to the information table where I met Kristi and learned about small groups and how to get plugged in. She also invited me to the picnic, and when I again declined, took my number and asked if I'd be down to get dinner sometime or maybe join in their small group. I don't think I've ever felt so welcome in any congregation.
The Park Community Church in Lincoln Park, thank you for a lovely Sunday morning, I'll definitely be back!
For anyone else trying to find a church in Chicago I'd love if you'd join me! Park meets at 2233 Clark at 10 o'clock. They also have two other locations in the city. Here's their link http://www.parkcommunitychurch.org/
No comments:
Post a Comment