Recently I've taken on eating "clean." Many who really know me are probably thinking at this point... Caroline, Eating clean? well yeah that's been going on for years. Ok, you might be right, I can be a little neurotic about what I eat, but I'll always love ice cream. However, this new"clean" adventure I've taken on involves eating no processed foods (at least for the most part) I've decided I'm allowing Greek yogurt, organic rice protein powder, almond milk, and Ezekiel whole grain bread. In reality I'm not limiting myself from many of my usuals other than things like salad dressings, whole grain pasta, pitas, cottage cheese, ...all cheese, tomato soup, canned tuna, etc. Anyway cut to the point, I started to feel a difference within about 3 days. It's been wonderful! I have more energy, clear skin, and (while it will never be possible) I'm a little closer to lower abs. I may have slipped up for one dinner though, it was a date, I mean I couldn't turn down a sushi/thai dinner ;)
Here's the other thing... I love to cook! So what have I been making since the start of rotations and new recent menu change. I'm finally on track with figuring things out I think. At first the whole packing lunch and not being as excited about taking the time to cook when I get home spun me for a loop. I'm not one to carry out much at all and living in Lincoln Park that had definitely been tempting. I can't walk a block in any direction without passing a restaurant that looks tasty, is affordable, and is fast. Not to mention great sushi and mexican and mediterranean places directly across the street.
Here's some tricks I've picked up and simple yet tasty and fresh easy to transport recipes
Breakfast! Most important meal of the day, get that metabolism going :) Throw in a short abs or legs circuit to really get it up
Tone it up Protein Pancakes (don't mind the cheesy title, I have to give Karena and Katrina with TIU credit).
What you need:
Ripe banana: 1
Organic rice vanilla protein powder: 1 scoop
Ground flax seed: 1 tbsp
Egg white: 1 large
Mash them all together, get yourself a quality non-stick pan and cook it like you would any other pancake! But watch it closely using low heat, they can burn pretty easy
Extra Tip: If you are short on time in the morning make 3 servings at once and store in an airtight container
One more extra: mix up and in other ingredients. Perhaps berries, apples, almonds, cinnamon, lemon
And finally: Come autumn consider mixing in pumpkin!
Coco Banana Cinnamon Protein smoothie
Mix in a blender...
Banana, frozen: 1
Organic rice protein powder: 1 scoop
flax seed: 1 tbsp
organic unsweetened coco powder: spoonful
Ice: as needed
Almond milk to taste
(if you're a caffeine addict like me): 2 espresso shots
If you're post workout and really hungry, think about adding a scoop of Peanut butter. Yummm, like a reeses peanut butter cup. Cinnamon adds a good taste too!
Greek yogurt with berries or mango and raw almond slivers
self explanatory :)
Oatmeal
pretty simple, minus any sweeteners, try just some fresh fruits with it
Lunch (easy to eat at a desk, on the go, or if you're lucky like me in a lecture)
Quinoa with fresh veggies and salmon or chicken
Quinoa: 1/2 cup. to prepare mix with 1 cup water, place in sauce pan, bring to a simmer and cover for about 10 minutes. It cooks up just like rice but with the added benefit of being a complete protein and high in fiber
Sauteed veggies: take your pics of mushrooms, peppers, asparagus, spinach, onion, etc
Garlic if you're into that
Once everything is cooked mix it all together and put in in the fridge overnight. I recommend adding some diced tomatoes after its chilled
Putting a grilled chicken breast or grilled salmon filet on top really completes the meal nicely and keep you going all afternoon
Chicken, Salmon, or Shrimp salad with stir fried veggies
Romaine Heart chopped
Stir fried veggies (just like mentioned above)
diced tomatoes and cucumbers. yummmm
Top it off with a grilled protein of you're choosing!
if you're not going un-processed try some kalamata olives and goat cheese
Dressing: pick your favorite or if sticking with my current change splash some balsamic or red wine vinegar in a plastic bag and put in on your salad at lunch later
that greek yogurt deal, also excellent for lunch
with a side of veggies too, up those vitamins and nutrients
Dinner
I'm too lazy to keep typing but food for thought :)
Egg-white frittata
Grilled chicken breast / shrimp / salmon/ ahi tuna / etc with stir-fried veggies
Steamed Oysters/ muscles: unfortunately gotta ditch the white wine in your sauce, but add some tomatoes and chili pepper flakes and garlic
Sashimi
Quinoa plus toppings of your choosing
The list goes on.
Due to my schedule this has actually taken me a few days to type up and since it's been almost 10 days of eating non-processed :) Except this past Sat where I visited Sultans Market with a friend and my fam took me out for dinner to Gejas. I wasn't about to pass up the cheese appetizer fondue or chocolate dessert. No chance no way
No comments:
Post a Comment