Friday, November 25, 2011

Obligatory Thanksgiving Post

Happy Day After Thanksgiving!  Today I'm actually thankful I had to work (despite my grumbling about it) because it meant I could not find an excuse to go shop and spend money I don't actually have.  But really I have so many more things to be thankful for despite my regular wishes to buy a new pair of jeans or lined wool pants or a ruffled blouse, or a pair of boots.  I could spend hours writing a post about things I am thankful for and believe myself to be truly blessed with but I think I'll spare the cyber world from that exhaustive list.  Well ok, one... I have 18 months until I will graduate and receive a piece of paper declaring me a doctor :)  And yes, I'll deserve it, I don't even care if I sound cocky saying that.

While a good proportion of Chicago and the country was out hunting for the best deals  (which by the way, I was reading in the NYT this morning actually are not today) I worked (as previously mentioned) and then enjoyed the 58 degree unseasonably warm, though windy, Chicago weather and my sister and I took what will likely be our last bike ride of the year.  By no means am I trying to belittle the Black Friday traditions, I too have spent my days roaming Michigan ave at 6AM with friends (cough Julie cough) having lots of fun and leaving happy with my purchases.  In fact I would be out there if I had bank account that could help boost the economy.  My one regret is that it couldn't have been longer.  But what was exceptionally delightful about it... other than the obvious that road bike of sane individuals should have long been placed on indoor trainers for convenient in house workouts at any hour.... was that the lake front trail was empty of small individuals commonly referred to as children :)  Very few people to dodge today, undoubtably one of the best rides of the year.  Possibly second to a couple night time rides and a day spent riding to the gardens with a stop for delectable egg white omelets with salsa.  My favorite sights along the lake front path today follow.  Short shorts with a sports bra and very warm hat and gloves and face warmer (they obviously dropped the rest of their clothes somewhere, I don't blame them, Fleet feet has sale right now anyway).  3 beach volleyball games.  A wave runner out splashing around in the playpen.   NO obnoxious 4 person bicycles moving impressively slowly and blocking the whole path.  A 4-yr-old looking like she was about to fall out of child's seat in her back seat while sleeping.   Song inspirations of the ride:  "Bicycle Race" --Queen   "Running against the Wind" --Bob Segar  and "Last Dance" -- Donna Summer

I'll miss this part of my life. 
Monday I start OB/Gyn with 6am - 6pm work hours (at minimum).  
Goodbye sunshine! I won't even be close to getting home in time to visit the greenhouse down the road from me for a little haven of happiness :( ... Lentil soup from Nesh, I think we'll become tight
Bring on the ice skating, snow shoeing, boarding, skiing, and cold weather runs!

Another little tid bit of news that's saddening my life currently is the situation by best friend is going through.  She is the proud mother of two pups she has had since early in college.  They've been so stable in her life and I think there are few things in life she loves more than these two little ones.  Just a few days ago she found out one of her dogs is very sick in renal failure and likely doesn't have much longer to spend with her.    I want to do something so badly to be able to lift her spirits but I have no idea how to make this one any better.   But my thoughts and prayers go out to her and Abby (and yes you too Elle).  Love you so much!!!!



1 comment: