Sunday, November 20, 2011

A store in Chicago where inflation doesn't exist? Does it exist?

My friends and family have heard me complain countless times about not having money and not being able to afford what I used to or be able to shop at all really.  Have I mentioned J. Crew pencil skirts used to run about 80 for wool with a silk lining but their most recent catalogue has the lovely flattering well fitted skirts marked up to 135 now?  Don't even get me started on their cafe trousers and tissue tees.  At least while Anthro is pricey they haven't increased and their sale rack is still one of best I've ever found.  Ok... so superficial item inflation maybe but may I point out I paid 3.95/gallon for gas today???  That's a necessity folks.  I can't ride my bike in the wee cold dark hours of morning 40 miles to Dyer, Indiana.  Gas prices may be the only beneficial thing about spending 4 weeks working in Indiana; there I can fill up for 3.20/gallon.   Enough whining  (but wait, isn't that what med students do best?)

Most locals in Chicago who live on a budget are well aware of the gem of a market I'm about to mention.   Yes, a place that hasn't given in (much) to rising prices.  It's nicely tucked in on the corner of North and Elston.  Stanley's.... sigh <3   This place made my weekend, not mention my day almost every time I stop in.  As a neurotic individual regarding what I eat (most days) and my workout schedule, one might think I spend A LOT of money of fresh produce.  Fortunately Stanley's has made my lifestyle affordable, so long as I'm willing to stop for fresh food about every 5 days. What really earned them five stars this past Saturday was their sale on Blackberries.  

59 CENTS a carton!!!!
 I bought 8 :)
1 for Coco, 2 for a fruit salad for brunch with friends, and 5 for me! (gluttony?)

blackberries and greek yogurt for dessert / study snack

Not to add onto reasons why I have a have a high opinion of Stanleys (59 cent blackberries should be enough to get anyone there) but they also had 90 cent avocados this weekend!  I suppose I haven't been in a full size supermarket in some time but last I checked they were nearing about 3 bucks for a Haas avocado.   Don't even worry, I bought four.  I'll be making some Mango guac in the next few days if anyone wants to come over for dinner!  Also they have free parking incase you don't want to cart your pounds of produce home on a bike or public trans.

It's the simple things that make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment