Friday, December 16, 2011

Too school for cool

As I log onto facebook while watching The Office's Christmas episode (not nearly as good as the Moroccan Christmas when Meredith sets her hair on fire) for another eventful Friday night while on ob/gyn service I see a link a good number of my friends have posted throughout the day.  This link gives some advice on "how to date a medical student."  Well kids, first we've put out a pretty pathetic view of ourselves and most of us need to put a bit of an effort into realizing that our lives are not standing still for these 4 years... or the following 3-7 for residency and fellowships.  Second... they refer to the medical student as a male.  This really pushes my buttons... and in a bad way.... But more importantly back to number one.  All I really have to say is B is for balanced.  A very good friend of mine told me this a while ago and I've agreed with it and practically lived by it ever since (ok well maybe not this year... A is for you have common sense in rotations)  Sure I use school as an excuse to not take the time to get know boys but then again I know perfectly well that if I really liked someone I met I'd definitely put in the effort to make the time.  Yes, GASP, I'd even skip a workout or so a week.  I often think the "I'm too busy" or "I don't have time for that" are just excuses some medical students make to allow their relationships to dwindle, to shake off responsibilities, to always have something to complain about, and to get the whole world to pity them for something.

As might be noticed by a recent post... I'm scheduled to be working 96 hours this week.  After staying late a couple nights this week it turns out I'll be coming in just a hair over at 98... that is if my upcoming 24 hour call shift is limited to that.  Ok, so with an average of 10 hours off a day... cut out 1.25 hours for driving (damn that traffic on the way home) and we're down to getting home, maybe eating (note: not cooking), and sleeping for 7 hours.  Somehow I've managed to get in 3 short workouts including in a 3 mile run, an hour of cardio (with books for most of it), and an hour swim.  I was able to laugh a lot, have some hospital lunches with friends, catch up with the doorman, and see a friend for a really quick beer in the middle of the week.   Unfortunately I did have to cancel a birthday dinner celebration tonight... Kristi, I really owe you :(  I just didn't have it in me tonight.  And Kate we'll get an exchange in on those shoes... Sunday?  During these work hours I've been in on an emergency surgery on a 25 week old pregnant woman; saw a teratoma (complete with teeth and hair); pulled a uterus, GIANT fibroid, and ovaries out through a vagina; saw endometriosis that was so extensive the ovaries were "kissing"; was involved in several robotic surgeries one of which was emergently converted to full open abdominal procedure; saw a lady with a placental abruption at 27 weeks gestation and saw what a 27 week old baby looks like (unfortunately baby didn't make it); got "pimped" on physics... fml; and saw two babies take their first breaths as well as had one patient tell me I'm the funniest doctor they've ever met and another that I'll be an amazing future physician and they'll be looking for me in a few years (in fact they even told me not to get married just so they'd be able to find my name :)   Sorry, it's possible to be happy, stay social, live healthfully, get some sleep, learn, make friends with new residents, be a compassionate caregiver.  My dear medical school friends, feel free to send angry thoughts my way... but lets all stop making excuses for ourselves...  I know this week I've used my excessive need for personal time as an excuse for sketching out.    I'd like to point though despite what the medical student in your life might try to make you believe:  These are not average work hours.  As a resident yes averaging 80 hours.  But as a student, ha no.  Surgery and OB/gyn being the potential (but no for sure) exceptions.

Yeah, saying I'm looking forward to being post-call on Sunday to sleep half the day, workout, and maybe make it to zoo lights, as well as cook up the eggplant that's sitting on my counter is an understatement.  But I can't say I'm at all cranky about it (right now)

But anyway... until attitudes change here's some advice to for you all if you haven't already seen the article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,452186,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment