1st. My spring break (WOOHOO!!!!) week.... in Western Michigan
Despite cold weather and a lot of studying this was actually a nice week away, I had my dog with me and all sorts of good groceries with me. Unfortunately there was no port wine stocked in the cabinets so my lamb chops were lacking that and I didn't have fresh mint to make a good fresh mint pesto for them. Still, they turned out and my pup was looking especially sweet that night so he got one too. Though my white wine sauce oysters were definitely my highlight followed closely by a cilantro lime chicken breast with my favorite mango salsa
Some pics of Lake Michigan (aka Antarctica)
2nd. My month long exploration into Yoga at CPY studios
Yes, I'm fully aware that a true yogi would probably not consider Core Power to be the height of yoga studies, but that was not what I was looking for. As an endurance athlete of sorts I was looking for a challenge versus just standing in positions, stretching, finding my "Chi" and saying namaste. Certainly this all has a place, its just not for me. I tried the CP1 class, and CP2, and Vinyasa flow, but true to my roots after a week I found myself really only checking the schedule for the classes that include both weights and 110 degrees temperatures: ie Yoga Sculpt. Fact of the matter is I'll never be a "yogini" nor do I want to. But I do appreciate a class when I'm literally dripping sweat while using only 5lb weights. Of course I don't mind when there are males in the room barely getting by with the 3 lb weights. What have I taken from this month of "practice"? Some flexibility and great new stretches. I'll keep working it out with downward dogs, chaturangas, and half pigeon poses. Perhaps the occasional sun salute if I'm feeling especially "virgo" watching the sunrise over the city from my apartment here and there.
3rd. Simple daily pleasures and opportunities.
I love the small things in life that make the day good. Like the rarity of treating myself to a soy chai latte (mmmmm) or a phone call to catch up with a college friend. Truth be told I can't say I remember all that many of these things but I can say one thing, life has been good to me and I'm thankful to God every day for the blessing he has graced my life with.
4th. I've been craving Big Star Taco for weeks, its baaaaaad
If any of you live in Chicago and have not been you NEED TO GO! Best tacos (americanized fo sho) in the city but cash only. The line gets long but they conveniently have a to go window and there is a lovely part just a block away to sit and enjoy. Now that the weather is nice sounds like a perfect afternoon outing.
5th. I took a trapeze lesson
Yes, like the circus :)
My arms and entire scapular region hurt for days. I rarely take a painkiller, but my bottle of tylenol travelled with me for those few days. Entirely worth it.
Finally, my 1/2 marathon two weeks ago never happened. I probably could have run it but I'm glad I never ended up paying the registraton fee.... it was COOOOOLLLLLLD out that day. During a spin class that morning instead I learned there was actually a small triathlon in Chicago that same morning, yikes. You couldn't pay me to jump in that water in March. Also, tomorrow is the Shamrock Shuffle, five miles of people wearing green storming through the city streets at 9 AM. But I won't be there. Thank you CCOM for requiring me to take an ACLS course all weekend (it was 70 and sunny today) that I probably wont even use and what I've actually "learned" from it I already knew. ie CPR. Again thank you CCOM and Peg Lech for sucking an extra 45 dollars from me due to lost registration for one of my favorite races of the year. As for all my fellow green runners, enjoy the morning, my Green spandex will have to wait for next year to make their appearance
Also along the lines of working out... Shout out to the girls from Tone It Up! I'm loving the spring into bikini plan you've got going down right now. The workouts are great and so easy to do any and everywhere :)
Back to studying <3 Medical school!!!!!!!!!!
I'll get a taco with you. :) Great post. <3 Tone it up, blessings, yoga, doggies, and beautiful pics of MI!
ReplyDelete